Table of Contents Hide
- What is Copywriting?
- What Does A Copywriter Do?
- All About Copywriting Internships
- Top 10 Best Paid Copywriting Internship In 2021
- #10 Red Olive – Copywriter Internship
- #9 Garage Team Mazda – Summer Intern Copywriter
- #8 Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association – Summer Internship
- #7 Pearmill – Advertising Creative Intern
- #5 VaynerMedia LLC – Summer 2021 Copywriter Internship
- #4 Webtoon Entertainment – Creative Campaign Intern
- #3 Weber Shandwick – Creative Summer Intern (Art Director and Copywriter)
- #2 Leo Burnette – Creative Internship (Art Direction, Copywriting & Design)
- #1 Lead Generation- Copywriter Internship
- Bonus point
- We Also Recommend
Proficiency in copywriting can only be garnered through constant practice. In this blog post, we’ll list the best paid copywriting internships where you can get to learn and experience the crescendo in creative copywriting.
A copywriting internship is really an opportunity for beginners in an industry to get practical, on-the-job experience. It can go a long way to determine your career goals through on hands training and optimum career progression. The experience gotten from copywriting internships is evergreen.
What is Copywriting?
Copywriting is the act of writing for the purpose of advertising or marketing a product or service. Sales copywriting as it is alternatively called aims to increase brand awareness and ultimately persuade a person or a group of people to take a specific action.
According to thebalancesmb.com, copywriting is the craft of writing persuasive messages that prompt people to take action.
Effective copywriting immediately grabs the reader’s attention, clearly promotes the product or idea, and convinces the reader to take action, such as clicking a link or making a purchase.
So, if you would like to kickstart a career in copywriting, you need to understand the duties and responsibilities of a copywriter.
What Does A Copywriter Do?
Copywriting is much different from the normal or typical writing of blog posts, articles, or news writing. An effective copywriting is one that drives responses and increases sales.
The ideal duty of a copywriter is to write a sales copy that will increase awareness and drive sales. While that may be the core of copywriting, let’s take a quick look at the responsibilities and duties of a copywriter.
#1 Write contents
Copywriters must produce content that shows or reflects the client’s brand or voice. This preceding sentence is as simple as it can be.
As a copywriter, you must dish sales copies that align with the brand identity and also meet the target goal.
Copywriters work with many people from PR, marketing, and customer service. As a copywriter, you need to work in synergy with other departments in a company. This will help you stay informed and enlightened on the relevance of a product or service.
The point of collaboration is where you take note and discuss copy ideas with the organization and possibly brainstorm contents around it.
#3 Edit and proofread sales copies
Content must be high-quality and in adherence to the company’s style guide. So, as a copywriter, you have to understand the relevance of proofreading and editing. This will help you cut down on the number of errors and eventually dish out excellence.
Once you’ve completed a piece of work, read through it to ensure there are no errors or typos using our grammar checklist for writers. This ensures that the client gets a first-class piece of copy and it also serves to enhance your reputation.
#4 Interpret creative directives
A copwriter is expected to express the points from a creative brief into a persuasive copy. This particular skill is what makes a unique copywriter different from a mediocre copywriter.
Therefore, the call for excellence in copywriting is a call to learn. So, as much as you can try and develop yourself in the field. This can be done through attending copwriting internships.
#5 Manage multiple projects
Juggle multiple projects, typically with short deadlines. While you must meet up with standards you also have to be flexible enough and master the act of optimal time management. The time management skill will help you manage multiple projects effectively and efficiently.
#6 Propose concepts for a copy
Present along with the underlying strategy to the company’s leadership. It is the core duty of the copywriter to propose concepts and ideas for a copy to the management board.
All About Copywriting Internships
Copywriting interns draft and edit blog posts, news articles, website copy, and ad copy. They assist with copywriting for brochures, award submissions, reports, and other marketing material. Additionally, they conduct research into the subject matter, competitors, industry, and target audiences.
They also research articles and information related to the subject matter. This helps them deliver effective copies.
In addition to writing, copywriting interns are responsible for identifying and understanding high-level messaging and strategy and monitoring trends in client’s industries. They are excellent writers who are remarkably organized.
As a copywriting intern, responsiveness to feedback and eagerness to learn is a mark of adroitness. Their duties include delivering verbal content that accompanies visual elements and brainstorming other ideas with members of a creative team.
Copywriting interns are usually undergraduates or fresh graduates. The graduates typically hold a bachelor’s degree in advertising, English, or a similar role from an accredited university. They are expected to have a deep knowledge of proper spelling and grammar with a keen eye for detail.
Copywriting interns earn a median sum of $38,000 annually or $18 per hour.
Top 10 Best Paid Copywriting Internship In 2021
Here’s a list top 10 best paid copywriting internship opportunities:
#10 Red Olive – Copywriter Internship
Red Olive is a digital agency located between the Wasatch Mountains and the up-and-coming Silicon Slopes. As an award digital agency, Red Olive seeks to unite like minds who come together to thinker around strategies and ideas that make them meet up with clients’ needs.
At Red Olive, the content marketing intern is more than just a gopher for donuts and coffee. They offer genuine opportunities to craft dynamic copy for a vast variety of industries and clients within multiple channels—blogs, landing pages, billboard advertisements, and so much more. Red Olive hires most of our interns full-time after 90 days.
- A strong grasp of the English language and impeccable grammar along with a love for the Oxford comma
- Knowledge of digital online writing best practices
- Working knowledge of SEO and keyword density
- An engaging, active voice
- Familiarity with Google Drive/Docs
- Ability to write on any topic in any type of channel – from blog copy to landing page to advertisement
- An independent work-ethic that takes initiative with a get-‘er done attitude
- Experience with scrum or agile project management a plus but not required
Estimated $20,000 – $29,000 a year
Part time Benefits:
- Half-Day Fridays
- Onsite gym w/full-time trainer, private showers, bike lockers
- Covered Parking
- Onsite restaurant
#9 Garage Team Mazda – Summer Intern Copywriter
The Garage Team Mazda is a full-service advertising agency located in the heart of Orange County. They are looking for interns to join their team in Costa Mesa this summer! The GTM internship program is great for students looking to jump into the world of advertising.
As a Copywriter Intern, you will create work across all media, from high-level conceptual campaigns to digital advertising, social, print, CRM, and more. You’ll need to be comfortable writing long-form, short-form, and everything in between.
This copywriting internship opportunity is a paid, full-time internshp and interns are expected to work 40 hours per week for a period of 10-12 weeks.
- Must be available to work remotely, full-time during the summer and must be able to stay the duration of the internship program (June to August).
- Must be located in California, Illinois, New York, Georgia, or Texas. And willing to work West Coast hours (9a-6p PT).
Estimated $26,000 – $37,000 a year
#8 Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association – Summer Internship
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)* is recruiting a group of innovative and collaborative individuals to take part in their 11-week summer 2021 internship program. The internship program seeks to increase and diversify the number of professionals in educational advancement. This program is designed to attract students who may not have previously considered a career in advancement. This is a full time (40hrs/week) paid internship that will begin on June 7, 2021 in Madison, WI.
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary degree program.
- Students in their junior year or higher are encouraged to apply
- Ability to work full-time (40 hours per week) during the summer internship
- Strong computer skills including MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Solid written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, and organizational skills.
- Commitment to building and supporting an inclusive work environment.
- An empowered collaborator – you contribute ideas and initiative to your work with minimal supervision and actively interact with team members.
Estimated: $30,000 – $44,000 per annum
#7 Pearmill – Advertising Creative Intern
Pearmill is a marketing agency that builds brand reputation and also helps businesses market their products.
This is a part-time role but it can become full-time quickly if we like your work and if you’re interested in becoming a full-time member of the team.
Here, you’ll be involved in the creative and design process of ad.
- Curiosity about design analysis in order to find out which ads perform well and which elements in them are key to the ads’ success
- Desire to become one of the best creative minds in digital advertising
- Ability to effectively communicate high-level thoughts, collecting creative feedback, and creative direction in both writing and meetings.
- Ability to be part of multiple accounts simultaneously without missing details.
- Have analytical knowledge for assessing the performance of ad creative.
- Proactivity and ownership of improving the performance of ad creative for accounts
Estimated: $27,000 – $36,000 a year
#6 Merkle – Copywriter Intern
Merkle is a leading technology-enabled, data-driven customer experience management (CXM) company. For over 30 years, Fortune 1,000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with them to build and maximize the value of their customer portfolios. Merkle is an agency of dentsu.
This is an ideal opportunity for college juniors and seniors or anyone looking to gain exposure in an innovative, fast-paced marketing and advertising agency. This is a full-time, virtual, paid internship from June 7 to August 6. Employees from diverse or underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
As a Copywriter Intern at Merkle, you will contribute to strategies and ideas that are artfully crafted and cut through the noise to engage in simple, surprising and empathetic ways.
- Rising Junior or Senior pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Creative Writing, Journalism, Marketing Communications OR relevant experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word with overall knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of how to best write for digital (web and social) channels
- Some understanding of brand development
- Ability to meet aggressive deadlines and juggle multiple priorities
Estimated: $26,000 – $37,000
#5 VaynerMedia LLC – Summer 2021 Copywriter Internship
VaynerMedia focuses on driving business results for brands. They have a good understanding of the channels where consumers spend much time and build something creative and strategic using analytics. They approach strategy with practicality, humility, and empathy. VaynerMedia believes that brands today can’t rely on a single, generic message served to a mass audience, the most effective way to drive relevance and growth is by speaking specifically and differently to people based on who they are, by listening, and understanding.
Are you an incoming college junior or senior, a grad student or recent graduate who’s trying to kickstart a career in digital social tech, this opportunity is yours to take.
This 8 week program will run remotely, from June 7th until August 6th. Exact dates are subject to change.
- Must have their own laptop to use for work
- Has strong research, writing, organizational and grammar skills
- Has an insatiable curiosity and knowledge about all things social, web, and mobile
- Possesses a hunger to learn and be mentored by professionals
- Loves all things digital and understands relevant social media platforms
- Works well in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to follow direction and take constructive criticism
- The ability to write concisely and with a strong voice, without typo or delay and with general editorial sensibilities
- Can commit to working at least 35 hours per week
Estimated: $25,000 – $34,000 a year
You can submit a digital portfolio with resume by clicking Here.
#4 Webtoon Entertainment – Creative Campaign Intern
WEBTOON is a world leader in digital entertainment with over 75 million unique monthly readers. They are a rapidly growing digital entertainment company and storytelling platform with users and creators from all over the world.
They’re offering a paid internship to exceptional copywriters and art directors who know how to tell a great story. As an intern supporting our creative campaigns, you will be fully integrated into the Creative Team, tackling work that intersects the rigor of performance and brand marketing with cutting-edge entertainment. You’ll get real-world experience in a diverse, international company and contribute to building how WEBTOON communicates and engages with its fast-growing social audience.
As a copywriter, you need to demonstrate the ability to write crisp, witty advertising across a variety of channels.
The length of the program will be determined prior to start by the department lead and the successful candidate(s).
Estimated: $36,000 – $50,000
#3 Weber Shandwick – Creative Summer Intern (Art Director and Copywriter)
Weber Shandwick is one of the world’s leading global public relations firms. They deliver impact through their dynamic workforce and broad actionable insights that help businesses, platforms, and ideas fly.
They’re passionate about expanding the boundaries by bringing diverse perspectives to the table. Are you creative and daring? Do you have digital savvy? Do you love to collaborate and bring big ideas to life? Are you ready to launch your career with Weber Shandwick?
They’re looking for you, the newest member of our DC Summer Internship Program! From creative brainstorming to day-to-day execution, Weber Shandwick’s Interns form the foundation of a talented team that generates groundbreaking, award-winning programs. During the program, you’ll work on campaigns for iconic brands and companies you likely encounter every single day.
Estimated: $40,000 – $56,000 a year
To be considered for the opportunity, you need to submit a cover letter and resume. Click Here to get started
#2 Leo Burnette – Creative Internship (Art Direction, Copywriting & Design)
The Leo Burnett Group internship program, recognized by Business Insider as one of the top 20 programs in the country, is designed to give bright, curious individuals the most realistic internship experience available in the advertising industry. All interns are embraced as contributing employees of Leo Burnett Group and are expected to do their part to deliver on the big campaignable ideas that the agency is known for worldwide. Participants work alongside top junior talent in the industry.
Leo Burnett is a creative agency in Chicago and one of the world’s top five global agency networks.
This paid 10-week program runs June 14th – August 20th, 2021, and is available to incoming college seniors and recent graduates.
Applicants must submit a link to their online creative portfolio in order to apply.
Estimated: $24,000 – $34,000 a year
#1 Lead Generation- Copywriter Internship
LeadCreations, an online lead generation firm just named to Inc. Magazine’s list of fastest growing privately-held companies, is looking for team members to grow with us. We are results driven and looking for talented copywriters to help drive those results.
As a Copywriter you will help write content, taglines and marketing pieces for online advertisements and creatives. You will also draft on-point marketing articles to provide content for our websites, as well as the company’s press releases. You can work from home and your hours will be flexible, so if you are a journalist or have experience in PR or as an advertising copywriter and are looking for part-time work, you might be the person we are looking for.
- Bachelors Degree/higher preferred or 4+years of online affiliate marketing, ad traffic, marketing, advertising and client services experience
- SEM/Social media experience
- Proven track record with affiliate recruiting, optimization tactics and management
- Expertise in identifying fraud and program violations
- Strong Analytical skills and data-driven mindset
- Strong Excel, PowerPoint and Word skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Proven track record of delivering results
- Detailed oriented and organized
- Excellent management and team leadership skills
- Understanding of success metrics and ability to measure performance accurately
- Experience working with other ad/affiliate networks and affiliates
- Bachelors degree/higher or 4+years affiliate marketing experience
Estimated: $44,000 – $62,000 a year
Want to earn your first cash as a copywriter, with or without a solid copywriting portfolio? Join Writer’sGig today! There are lots of clients, waiting to hire fresh writer’s like you.
- zippia.com – Copywriting Internships
- simplyhired.com – Copywriter Internship Opportunities
- thebalancesmb.com – What is Copywriting?